Daniel FreytagCo-Founder / Creative Director
Daniel is a designer, photographer and serial idealist (or so people tell him). He is Creative Director and Co-Founder at Freytag Anderson, a Glasgow based branding and design studio. His work as a designer has taken him all over the world – allowing him to see some interesting things and meet some great people along the way.
In around 20 years of business he has worked on a diverse range of projects, large and small. When not designing Daniel dabbles in other creative ventures such as curating Editions of 100 (an online design store) and most recently working with his illustrator wife, Lorna, to startup HeyWow! – a personalised children’s book publishing company.
Daniel grew up in the small village of Bühlertal on the edge of the Schwarzwald in Germany. Since, he’s lived and worked in New York, Sydney, Seoul and London. He recently moved back to Scotland where he now lives with his family on the West Coast popping into the Glasgow studio once a week. He says it’s a good work life balance – for him at least!
What influence does music have in your life as a creative?:
I listen to a real mix of music depending on my mood. I find music amplifies a mood – especially at work. If I’m feeling productive it tends to be electronica of some description or something with a big baseline – similarly, if I need to concentrate and get my head into something it’s got to be more repetitive – low, ambient audio. I can’t listen to radio and people chattering – that drives me mad.
Tell us about your playlist:
I’ve created a playlist that slowly builds momentum – soft, almost sombre vocals with a heavy baseline build to a faster, harder pace. For me it is important that the music doesn’t get in the way but enhances the zone I’m in. Enjoy!
- In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country – Boards of Canada
- AFG – Sensible Soccers
- High By The Beach – Lana Del Rey
- Elfstendentocht – Pt. 2 – Public Service Broadcasting
- Primative People – Tale Of Us Remix – Mano Le Tough, Tale Of Us
- No. 22 – Moderat
- Water Jump – Daniel Avery
- Go – The Chemical Brothers
- Hustler – Radio Edit – Simian Mobile Disco
- Rinse & Repeat – Radio Edit – Riton, Kah-Lo
- Sleep Deprivation – Simian Mobile Disco
- Fade Away – Vitalic
- Reunion (Mylo Remix) – M83
- Poison Lips – Vitalic
- Solo Dancing – Indiana
- Musclecars – Mylo
- Levo – Recondite
- Drone Logic – Daniel Avery
- Solitary Daze – Original Mix – Maceo Plex, Gabriel Ananda