Luke is an artist/maker currently living somewhere in the english countryside, making simple vessels inspired by geometry, geology and early noughties London graffiti.
His work is sold internationally in galleries, stores and through his own site.
What influence does music have in your life as a creative?:
For most of the last 15 years I’ve made music and played in bands, but for the past 18 months I’ve been living in the countryside, in a cottage next to a farm in a quiet village, enclosed on one side by chalk downs to make a kind of topographical cul-de-sac. I’ve been able to create my own little world, working in my late grandfather’s old pottery, full of oddities and ephemera; a cow skull, scientific scales, colour test tiles, old equipment and a pair of tinny, clay-covered speakers.
In the studio, If I’ve got some time at the wheel to be creative, or throw larger unique pieces, I’ll usually work late when there’s less background noise and I can create the specific environment I want. If I’m throwing production work or doing some other repetitive task, then I work during the day to the birdsong, cows and farm clattering, or I’ll play something in response, whether sympathetic or dissonant. If the weather’s good I’ll open every door and window and let the breeze in and the music out.
Whether I’m thinking, creating or escaping, I love the mischievous possibilities of playing with environment and soundtrack. It’s a game I play all the time; travelling around France before I ended up here, I found that the most enjoyable thing to listen to on a train journey was Deerhoof, because endless straw-coloured French countryside >> avant-garde noise pop, clearly.
Tell us about your playlist:
It’s a bit of a rollercoaster, I did make a nice neat version but then decided to just shove a load of stuff back in. The original did make some kind of sense though, so perhaps that order is still holding it together. If not, I just hope you like both stoner metal and Ecuadorian harpists.
- Through the Night – Duval Timothy
- Message From The Nile – McCoy Tyner
- Oh Yeah – CAN
- Cummins Falls – 75 Dollar Bill
- Mercenary Blues – Slabdragger
- Home Town – WITCH
- Sarama – Vieux Farka Touré
- Yer Mali Gakoyoyo – Ali Farka Touré
- Long Division – Fugazi
- Typical Girls – The Slits
- Dolencias – Atahualpa Poalasmn
- Whither The Invisible Birds? – Deerhoof
- Préludes pour Piano 1er livre, L. 117: X. La cathédrale engloutie – Carsten Wiebusch, Claude Debussy
- What’s Wrong With Groovin’ – Letta Mbulu
- Stay On It – Julius Eastman, Joseph Ford, Doug Gaston, Amrom Chodos, Dennis Kahle, Benjamin Hudson, Georgia Mitoff, Jan Williams, Petr Kotik
- vita I – Torg, Ina Sagstuen, Christian Winther, Jan Martin Gismervik, Magnus Skavhaug Nergaard, Torstein Lavik Larsen, Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø, Mette Henriette Martedatter Rølvåg, Johan Lindvall
- Hanging On The Telephone – The Nerves
- “Instrumentals” Volume 2 – Arthur Russell