James KirkupDesign Director
Day to Day: Making good things.
Founder of The Football Crest Index.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?
Music is definitely a constant in my day to day.
From 6Music in the morning to Spotify on the tube to NTS in the studio to records back at home – if it’s not one of them, it’ll be some other form of background music constantly going down.
There’s no doubt that I’ve ended up where I am due to being obsessed with listening to things. Growing up in Brighton and being around equally obsessed music heads got me not only through my teens but pushed me further into art and design through sleeve and poster art. My bedroom at the time replicated more of a gig poster archive than a place to regularly sleep.
Tell us about your playlist
My aim was to give an overview of artists I constantly go back to week to week, month to month. No matter what listening tangent I can find myself in these artists are a constant across my music selections, boasting tunes I’ve never really tired from. There are some newer things in there and some older but an overarching good vibe throughout… I hope.
- Sleeping Aides and Razorblades – The Exploding Hearts
- It Changes – Amber Arcades
- Forgot Myself – Jen Cloher
- Warsaw – Joy Division
- Crosseyed And Painless – 2005 Remastered Version – Talking Heads
- Wolf Kidult Man – The Fall
- C’mon – The Soft Pack
- The Wanderer – Dion
- Sundown Syndrome – Tame Impala
- About A Girl – Nirvana
- Blueprint – Fugazi
- Equal Mind – Beach House
- Green Onions – Single Version – Booker T. & the M.G.’s
- Get Ready for Love – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- Paper Trails – Darkside
- Trampled Under Foot – Led Zeppelin
- No – Nicolas Jaar
- Fairies Wear Boots – Black Sabbath
- Back to the Middle – Deerhunter
- Down In Mexico – The Coasters
- The House Of The Rising Sun – The Animals