Stuart BentleyDirector of Photography
Stuart Bentley is a Director of Photography working in film, television, documentary and commercials.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?:
I’ve aways loved music and it certainly plays an important part in the work I do today. I really learnt my trade as a Director of Photography doing music videos which were great practice for operating and lighting – getting to experiment with lots of different techniques and lighting styles. The rhythm and tempo of different types of music links closely to the movement and feel of the camera and tone of certain scenes, I’ll often discuss the staging and blocking of a scene in the same way you might think about listening to certain sections of a song – breaking down the individual components and analysing how each element works. Not sure if that makes any sense!!!
Tell us about your playlist:
I love all kinds of different music – lots of different styles and genres so I guess this playlist is a fairly eclectic and at times terrible selection of music which I’ve enjoyed listening to over the last few years!
- Mere No Beba – Thomas Frimpong, Eric Agyeman
- Hol’ it – Shatta Wale
- Shellshock – New Order
- Thieves Like Us – New Order
- Sexual Healing – Marvin Gaye
- What’s a Girl to Do – Fatima Yamaha
- Changes – 1998 Greatest Hits (Explicit) – 2Pac, Talent
- La vie en rose – Grace Jones
- Another Day In Paradise – Phil Collins
- Silver – Caribou
- I Don’t Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) – From “Fifty Shades Darker (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)” – ZAYN, Taylor Swift
- Where We Come From – Popcaan
- Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want – 2008 Remastered Version – The Smiths
- Things Can Only Get Better (45 Version) – Howard Jones