Miles NewlynDirector / Typographer
Miles Newlyn is a leading specialist in brand typography, and has re-arranged the face of the business more than once. His work helps us grasp the things we read, and remember who wrote them. His logo work has put Honda, Cadillac, Saab and Land Rover on our roads, two Olympics on our screens and EE, 3 and Sky in our clouds.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?:
I work on my own so music is company for me. I also use music to block out noise from neighbours and since the sound of residential London is mostly hammer drills and scaffold teams, I go up to eleven.
Never been inspired by music, it was painting band names on my school bag that started my career in type and logos. A few of those logos crept into my heart and 35 years later I’m still in love.
All that said, I do like a tune and a club podium – dancing is how I let go.
Tell us about your playlist:
It’s a bit of Desert Island Discs with a few extra in my bag. Almost every song is centred around either booze, drugs or sex — I don’t think I’m cut out for the desert island life.
Novelty songs are great and I’ve included a couple, I have no pretentions towards having musical ‘taste’ but I hope that you find a song or two in the list that amuse.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain – Harry McClintock
- The Grand Duel (Parte Prima) (From “Il Grande Duello – The Grand Duel”) – Kill Bill, Vol. 1 Theme – Luis Bacalov
- Bad Man – From The “Repo Man” Soundtrack – The Juicy Bananas
- Bus Talk (Interlude) – Paolo Nutini
- She’s Crafty – Beastie Boys
- It’s A Pity – Tanya Stephens
- Bananas And Blow – Ween
- Hurt – Johnny Cash
- Mystery Song – Status Quo
- Windrose – Kellerkind Remix – Funkwerkstatt
- Faded – ZHU
- All I Want – Younger Brother
- Ducks On A Pond – 2010 Remastered Version – The Incredible String Band