Debbie MillmanDesigner, Author, Educator and podcast host
School of Visual Arts
Debbie Millman is a designer, author, educator and brand strategist. She host of the award-winning podcast “Design Matters,” the world’s first podcast on design; Chair of the world’s first Masters in Branding Program at the School of Visual Arts; the editorial and creative director of Print Magazine and President Emeritus of AIGA. She is the author of six books on design and branding.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?
Music is critical to my life. It enriches my soul, it inspires my spirit and it changes and influences my DNA.
Tell us about your playlist:
Music is fundamental to my life and provides a telegraphic shortcut to the minutiae of my history. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the role that music has in my work. It is a rare moment that I am not listening to music when I am making art. Whether it is jazz or hip-hop, show tunes or folk tunes, music underscores every effort, every mood and every image. This playlist is an homage to color in an effort to honor the influence music has on the work that I do.
- Brown and Beige Are My Favourite Colours – Acid House Kings
- Black Tambourine – Beck
- Another Green World – 2004 Digital Remaster – Brian Eno
- Two Grey Rooms – Joni Mitchell
- Almost Blue – Elvis Costello & The Attractions
- The Blue Ghazel – Rickie Lee Jones
- Black Poppies – CocoRosie
- The Black Hawk War, Or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself In the Morning, Or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You’re Going to Have to Leave Now, Or… – Sufjan Stevens
- Blue Light – Mazzy Star
- Chartreuse – ZZ Top
- Deep Dark Blue – Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Purple Toupee – They Might Be Giants
- Violet Rays – The Smashing Pumpkins
- Violet Stars Happy Hunting! – feat. The Skunks – Janelle Monáe
- Grey Gardens – Rufus Wainwright