Anthony BurrillGraphic artist, print maker & designer
Graphic artist, print-maker and designer Anthony Burrill is known for his persuasive, up-beat style of communication. His work is held in the permanent collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York and has been exhibited in galleries around the world including the Barbican Art Gallery, the Walker Art Center and the Design Museum, London.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?
I listen to music constantly, it’s something that has always inspired me. I think it unlocks parts of my brain that opens up and channels my creativity. I use music to soundtrack every day in the studio, I find it hard to concentrate if there isn’t any music, it relaxes me and puts me in the right frame of mind to think about work. I have a very particular taste, I like minimalism, a feeling of space and a good groove. I listen to a wide variety of music, but I’m always looking for the same thing, a kind of abstract connection to the sound and my imagination.
Tell us about your mix:
This is the kind of music I listen to in my studio, I’ve picked some of my current favourites for you to listen to. I find songs with lyrics distracting, so I prefer to listen to instrumental music when I’m working. I like grooves and repetition and lots of bass. I recently invested in a new hi-fi, it’s amazing, the clarity of the sound that fills the studio is beautiful. I like to get lost in the sounds and drift off in to a creative space, feeling a connection with something abstract and different that inspires me.
- Duckett – I Ain’t Seen the Cat for Three Days Now
- Four Tet – Two Thousand and Seventeen
- Plaid – Hawkmoth
- Bicep – Glue
- Four Tet – Planet
- Holden – Triangle Folds Inside Out
- Fatima Yamaha – What’s a Girl To Do
- Bison – Familiar Stranger (Night)
- DML – Sendling 1
- Dionne – What Are You
- Inke – Three Hours of Daylight
- Boards of Canada – Ready Let’s Go
- The Human League – The Dignity of Labour (Impotent Fury edit)
- Gil Montiel & Siller – &1%%01
- Laurie Spiegel – The Unquestioned Answer
- Four Tet – Peace for Earth
- Michael Bundt – La Chasse Aux Microbes
- Brian Eno and Harold Budd – The Pearl