Michael C PlaceCreative Director
Michael Christopher Place (me) is a Yorkshire born (1969, a moon-landing baby) graphic designer, creative director and founder of Design studio Build. I tend to bang on about being from Yorkshire. A lot. I went to see Star Wars with my mum in Harrogate in 1977 (aged 8), my life has never been the same since. I have only had two full-time jobs, one working for Trevor Jackson (Bite It!) in London which was scary as f**k. And at The Designers Republic in Sheffield, which was a lot of hard work. I started up the studio after being frustrated by not being fully in control of my own destiny…to be fair I still don’t think I am fully in control of my destiny. But that is part of the excitement.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?
It means everything. I can’t design without music.
Tell us about your playlist:
I’ve split into 4 distinct periods of my life and the music I was into at that time. 1—5 Heavy Metal (1979—84), 6—10 Psychobilly/Indie (1985—88), 11—15 Hip Hop (1989—95) + 16—20 Electronic (1996 onwards). Each of these styles of music punctuate my life, where one adventure starts and another ended. School, College & Work.
- The Number Of The Beast – Iron Maiden
- Ace of Spades – Motörhead
- Back In Black – AC/DC
- Paranoid – 2009 Remastered Version – Black Sabbath
- Wheels of Steel – Saxon
- Psychotic Reaction – The Cramps
- Wreckin’ Crew – The Meteors
- King Rat – Guana Batz
- Do You Believe in the Westworld – Theatre Of Hate
- The Wheel – Spear Of Destiny
- Hey Love – King Sun
- Rhythm (Devoted to the Art of Moving Butts) – A Tribe Called Quest
- Check The Technique – Gang Starr
- Info Kill II – Company Flow
- N.Y. State of Mind – Nas
- LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) – LFO
- Strings Of The Strings Of Life – Derrick May
- Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
- Blue Water – Metamatics
- Dominas – Carl Craig