Valeria is an illustrator and graphic artist, born in Turin at the beginning of the 80’s. A graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in Turin, she has been living and working in Madrid for over 8 years, working freelance. She creates her work using digital and traditional techniques.
What role does music play in your day-to-day life as a creative?
Music has always been part of my life, I grew up in a house where the radio was always on. When I was young my parents impelled a musical education to me and my sister and my dad taught us to play the guitar. Even today when I come home to Turin we sing together. Music is one of the most beautiful expressions of art and has always accompanied me in creativity. I believe it is one of those elements that can not be missing when I draw an illustration—it helps me to harness emotions and ideas. I have created many playlists in Spotify, each with a unique emotional state. My favourite genre of music is soul and funk, bossa nova and Rock music. But I must also admit a great love for the 80’s and 90’s music.
Tell us about your playlist.
I made a remix of many tracks, starting from some of the slowest songs up to the most energetic rhythms that in moments of total creativity push me to use the brightest and most vibrant colours! I would have many more songs but I have centred the choice on a select variety of genres.
- Don de Fluir – Celso Fonseca, Jorge Drexler
- Big Wheel – Saun & Starr
- Samba de una Nota Só – João Gilberto
- Cosa sarà – Lucio Dalla, Francesco De Gregori
- Abatina – Calypso Rose
- Mon manège à moi (tu me fais tourner la tête) – Remasterisé en 2015 – Édith Piaf
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours) – Stevie Wonder
- Mrs Cold – Kings of Convenience
- Thinking of You – Sister Sledge
- Lies – The Tibbs
- The Ballad Of John And Yoko – Remastered 2015 – The Beatles
- Move On Up – Curtis Mayfield
- Mulemba Xangóla – Bonga, Marisa Monte, Carlinhos Brown
- September – Earth, Wind & Fire
- Lovely Day – Bill Withers
- Going Back To My Roots – Richie Havens
- Dissolve Me – alt-J
- You’re in Love with a Psycho – Kasabian
- Clouds – Milky Chance
- Safe And Sound – Capital Cities
- You Do Something To Me – Leo Reisman